May 16, 2011

Inspiration and Dreams: A Pub, a Puppy and a whole lot of Providence

In past posts, I’ve written about the importance of believing in your dreams, and of continually moving towards them, even if slowly. Unwavering belief, plus an itty-bitty amount of momentum, makes for a magical equation. It used to worry me that I didn’t know HOW I would get my dreams from A to B to C. And it used to worry me even more that I couldn’t make A + B = C. But over time, I’ve let this worry go. Instead, I focus solely on what I want and on the few small things I know I can do today to move away from A, towards B. And somehow, in so doing, providence and possibility often collide to make for amazing opportunities.


This happened to me last weekend when I met the most unusual and inspiring couple who are following and living their dreams...in the most FABULOUS way!


As you may know, I live in Windsor, UK. Due to the presence of one large and famous castle, Windsor is inundated with tourists for much of the year. In town, I hear accents from all over the world and usually pay no attention. But last Friday, after stopping at The Two Brewers (one of my favourite pubs) for a sunny lunch, I very much noticed the American accents of the couple at the next table. While I was lightly contemplating saying hello, Harry, my pup, charged over for an introduction.


Over the course of the next hour, Harry ingratiated himself, and we learned that Betsy and Warren were from Seattle, had tired of the rat race and sold everything to travel around the world for the next five years. (Talk about clearing space!?!) They had just arrived in the UK via Latin America, Antarctica and one very long boat ride (5 luxurious weeks aboard an empty cruise ship in process of repositioning itself! My kinda cruise!). Despite sticker shock at UK prices, they seemed enthralled by British culture and very much at home. Ironically, they had just been to visit Wanderlust, an award-winning, independent, adventure travel magazine that is edited by my next-door neighbour, Dan. Betsy and Warren ended up at the Two Brewer’s on Dan’s recommendation. Coincidence? I was starting to get goose pimples.


The conversation then somehow turned to photography and my fledgling blog. It turns out that Warren is a Wordpress website developer and is also familiar with Squarespace. He offered to help me transform my site into something more functional and impactful. And Betsy had a consulting business focused on female entrepreneurs.


I walked home that afternoon with one sleepy child and two contented canines, and a mind that was spinning and jumping. Not only had I met the most interesting and inspiring couple who are living-proof that outrageous, fabulous dreams can become reality, but I very much felt as if I had just made two new friends (We’ve made plans to get together again when they are back this way...). And even more amazingly, these relative-strangers had offered to help me move closer to my own dreams. Pubs, puppies, providence and a whole lot of possibility!


You can follow Warren and Betsy on their blog: www.marriedwithluggage.com or on Facebook. Their site is full of information and guidance on how they transformed their everyday life into a travelling adventure. I hope you find them as inspirational as I do. Enjoy!



13 comments:

Suki said...

Wow, what an amazing coincidence. Hope everything moves towards your dreams.

Warren Talbot said...

Denise,
Thank you so much for the kind words and wonderful post. Betsy and I are so delighted to have met you all and are planning our visit back to Windsor now.

Anna said...

Denise,
Hurray for you and serendipity! Betsy and Warren sound like an amazing couple on quite an adventure.

Reena said...

Such a delightful post. I love how life sometimes throws us chance encounters that can blow us away. Thanks for introducing Betsy and Warren to me. Love your words.

A Box of Chocolates said...

wow how amazing and what a privledge to meet this guys, i have just checked out their blog and oh my they are incredible I want to be doing what they are doing please I do right now!!!

urban muser said...

sounds like an interesting afternoon with a nice couple of dreamers. wow!

Marcie said...

Oh..thank-you for sharing this. Am heading right over to their site. A true inspiration - for sure!

Betsy Talbot said...

I used to be one of those people who didn't like to talk to my airplane seatmates or people dining around me. This trip has changed that completely, and I'm regretting all the missed opportunities from before!

It was terrific fun to meet you and we can't wait to get to know you better. And thanks for letting us play with Harry for a while. There is not a lot in this world that is better for the soul than a happy puppy licking at your face.

Angela said...

Hi Denise, I've been a fan of Warren and Betsy's for over two years now, and I can attest to their generosity and overall awesomeness. We'll have to thank your Queen for being at the castle that day so they ended up at the pub where you all met.

Cheers,
Angela

kelly@thebluemuse said...

Wow, what a great story, and good for them, and for you! I agree with you, sometimes you just have to keep plodding away with what you do know and then things start to fall into place.

Kelly Warren said...

awesome story. it reminds me of a traveling artist couple who's van broke down nearly in our front yard. on a whim, my husband and i invited them in, and the stayed for the night. what wonderful conversations we had!

blue elephant photography said...

awesome post! that's a good story!

Karen said...

I love stories like this; the chance meetings that can change lives. And 'Married with Luggage' is now added to by blog list.