Apr 11, 2011

Gift Without a Bow


Art has the power to change lives.

Please picture this ~

A young, college student on a traveling scholarship walks into a museum exhibition hall.  The walls are white and illuminated by a warm glow streaming down from skylights.  The paintings on the walls are by the French Impressionist, Claude Monet.  They depict flowers, landscapes, and garden scenes; captured in amazing, vivid, vibrant hues.  

The young women is awestruck.  Her heart races as she marvels at these masterpieces.  She studies the brushstrokes..... the color combinations..... and tries to hold all these images in her mind and heart ~ forever.

She already knew that she loved all the ingredients that made great art;
 pattern, line, design, form, texture, and color. 

But, at this moment color became her muse.
A muse that she would walk hand in hand with along the path of art.
Forever.


This young woman was me, a zillion years ago.
  And yes, the gift of art does indeed have the power to change lives!


Has art touched your life in humble or profound ways?

Wishing you, always, a happy and art-filled life,

7 comments:

Kathryn Dyche said...

What a beautiful post. I remember being blown away by Mark Rothko's work and could stare at it for hours. Never did I imagine in my wildest dreams that I would one day find myself picking up a paintbrush and creating my own work.

Kim Klassen said...

fantastic story... and i knew it was you. :)
wonderful!! 'sigh'

hmmmm, for me ...the whole art love life began when we moved into our antique house.... i wanted to fill it with folk art and old signs... that was the beginning of my journey as an artist.... then after a very difficult storm in life...i discovered my camera.... 'sigh'
it's been the best gift of all... :)
xxo, Kim

Marcie said...

It's incredible - when we look back and see what it is that inspired us! I have memories of similar experiences myself. Those ahaaa moments that change lives!!! Beautiful post!

kelly@thebluemuse said...

yes, in both humble and profound ways it touches my life everyday. what a blessing.
color as a muse, that is perfect.

Tanya said...

I love hearing how it all started with you. Your art has inspired me for years now. You know how highly I think of you!

Art changes my life daily, even if it's not my own.

dbalyoz said...

hi anna, thank you for sharing the story of your beginning. i love that your life was changed in an instant by something so simple. But then, Monet is just fabulous, isn't he? :) xxo denise

Anna said...

Thanks ladies for your comments! I love hearing how art enters and touches our lives.