Sep 1, 2010

Practice


by Marcie Scudder.

As an avid yoga practitioner, I study the power of presence, the strength of acceptance, and the grace of embracing what ‘is’.

This ‘practice’ of photographing the world as I see it has become no different than that of stepping on my mat, feeling the ground solidly beneath my feet, opening my heart and my eyes to the world as it unfolds around me. It is a union of body and mind and the click of the shutter’s lens.

Day after day, week after week and month after month after that, no matter what the forecasted weather I get up before the sun rise and walk my morning walk. With my camera over my shoulder and in my hand, I ‘practice’ recording the world as I see it. I never know in advance what it was I might find. The perfect scene, the perfect moment, the perfect light are inconsequential and often elusive. There is always something new to see and be seen; something to be captured from a different point-of-view and in a whole new way. The morning light, the weather, the mood, the seasons are ever changing and evolving along with my vision.


Looking thru my lens I often find myself totally immersed in the moment and what it has to offer. My ‘practice’ has become a daily reminder that there is hidden magic in the details if we actually stop and breathe and look and listen.


Curious to hear how it is you practice your craft? What it is that you do daily?



15 comments:

Clare B said...

I started the 365 challenge today so daily practice is going to involve photo taking. Other than that my daily 'pratice' is my ride to work everymorning - a short 20 minute ride that allows me to reconnect with the outside and the weather and on the way home, leave work behind me.

Kathryn Dyche said...

We had some amazing walks near us when we lived in CT, here in VA not so much. I really miss losing myself in nature, I find it soothing and grounding.

POBSB said...

Love it ! Doing it for the doing, not for the result !!

Suki said...

Daily practice is so important and challenges us to look at certain things in a different way. Loved this post!
Practicing to stay in the moments sounds so very beautiful.

beth said...

up before dawn...everyday.
i bow to you :)

Laura @ 52 FLEA said...

"Hidden magic in the details"...
I do look and find that magic daily.
Beautiful post...I lack your discipline but am working on it! :)

mrs mediocrity said...

I write daily, a blog post or in a journal, or both. I keep my eyes and ears open. I try to be mindful of creating and living in the moment.
Some days it works, some not, but that's why it is daily "practice".
Gorgeous photo...you always find the hidden magic.

ELK said...

dawn . the best part of any day .. a "project" (such as my black and white) keeps me engaged with the camera and life around me..

Marcie you are always an inspiration to me !!

kath said...

I knit ... even a few stitches. And as you know, I am practicing developing a yoga practice.

These photos are amazing Marcie ..

knitalatte said...

What a great way to start your day. I always take my camera when I go to the beach on weekend mornings. I never know what I will photograph there, but I like being prepared for what ever catches my interest.
Thanks for such a lovely post.

Jamie said...

I need to follow your example and do something daily. Too much bouncing around.

Kim Klassen said...

beautifully stated Marcie. Until I lost Andy, my daily practice was to walk with him. After he was gone I had a hard time going without him. I'm getting back into it. and it does feel good. I think daily practice is a beautiful thing. I admire that you can get up before dawn daily... like beth said.. i bow to you...

xxo, kim

Sunmallia said...

I love the routine of it all it makes me feel safe to have a routine.

Mandy Saile said...

This photo is brimming with magic...just beautiful, wow.

Prairie Girl Studio said...

love your daily practice marcie ...
so serene and centering ... : )

in the summer, i suppose my daily practice is to go outside first thing when i get up ... breathe in the morning air ... pet and feed my ollie cat ... stroll about the yard ... and quite often find myself going back to grab my camera ; )

when the light goes, and the days shorten, i will open my simple abundance each morning and read a passage and go back to yoga ... i look forward to the season changes and the daily practices they bring ...

i actually liken this i.studio to simple abundance ... a lovely daily reading to take with me for the day ... so i would include this now as a daily practice!

blessings to you ~
xo
pg