Aug 26, 2010

Life's Soundtrack - Back to School

Agatha the Great!
From LuLu & the Locke's photo stream in the Inspiration Studio Flickr group








Everywhere I turn lately I'm reminded it's time to head back to school.  Now, I haven't been in school in years and I don't have little ones who are prepping to go back, but I can't help but get caught up in the excitement.  Who doesn't like an excuse for a new wardrobe, or shiny new school supplies, or best of all, a chance at a fresh start.

While I wouldn't want to relive my teenage years, I can't help but look back at my school years with a bit nostalgia.  It was a fun and relatively carefree time (although I may not have believed so at the time.)  I had great friends and lots of opportunities.  This week, I've found myself digging up some of the songs that remind me of that time.

From Roxette's "Joyride" which my best friend and I played as we drove up and down main street (I'm from a small town and all there was to do on weekends was drag main.)  Def Leppard's "Hysteria," our homecoming theme my first year as a cheerleader.   Don Henley's "End of the Innocence" which accompanied our end of the year video montage.  Jefferson Starship's "Nothing's Going to Stop Us Now," which my tiny class of fifty-something sang at both our middle school and high school graduations.  College rolled around and Alanis Morissette rarely left the CD player in our apartment.

What songs take you back to those school days?  What songs or artists do you wish they would still play on the radio?

We are going to try a little something new this week.  I've gone into the comments from last week's post, Songs for Lighter Travel, and put together a playlist that combines the songs I posted and those you suggested.  Click over to my playlist on YouTube, hit play and listen along as you catch up on blogs, edit some photos or clean the house.  Then be sure and comment on this post about the songs that take you back to your school years and next week I'll put together a new communal play list for us.   I can't wait to see what we'll come up with together.

Happy Listening
Jamie
Lyrical Journey

9 comments:

Prairie Girl Studio said...

cool song selection, jamie!
hmmm ... i guess if i was to go back to high school
graduation, the song of the time would be dan hill's 'hold on' ...

my neighbour and i watched ozzy osbourne's 'life won't wait' video yesterday which has a good message for youth ... as crazy as he is and with ozzy's past, he has a lesson to share ...

the beat goes on ... : )
prairiegirl

Kim Klassen said...

jamie,
this is fantastic...listening to the playlist as i type.... you are BRILLIANT girl!!

thinking about what music comes to mind....

hmmm, well let's see....
i remember driving into Winnipeg, a car full of girls to see Chicago in concert. Their song 'hard habit to break' playing in the background....
Then finding out it was cancelled...
No cell phones at the time...or my brother could have called us to say it was off..
Funny how we seemed to survive with out a phone attached to us 24/7....


We were pretty bummed... but then we turned around and came back home for the social/dance that we would have missed because of the concert... :)

All and all those years were pretty good to me... Of course there was a little drama....but not a lot...
for that i am most thankful!!

as for songs... of the 80's... cindy lauper - true colors, dire straits - walk of life...oh and REO Speedwagon- can't fight this feeling....
'sigh'....

kay back to reality i must come...

thanks Jamie...xxo, kim

Lulu and her whimsical ways! said...

Thank you for using my pic there Jamie, a real honour!

I will have to listen to your playlist when I get home cause I often just search for songs on youtube to play in the background when I'm blogging. My ultimate 80's/90's childhood soundtrack would be - definitely 'Def Lepperd' (with you on that) 'photograph', 'hysteria', love and hate collide', Gin Blossoms 'Hey Jealousy', Lisa Loeb 'Stay', Roxette 'Dressed for success', Richard Marx (all of his songs) Del Amitri (all their songs too)!! xx

~Kristina said...

Such a great playlist! I, too, get caught up in the excitement of the fresh of September.

Kathryn Dyche said...

Aren't trips down memory lane the best. I was a huge Def Lepperd fan too but listened to a lot of Bon Jovi and Whitesnake too. Happy Days.

Marcie said...

What a brilliant idea!! Am so enjoying this playlist..and we must be of a similar 'vintage'...as this is definitely bringing me back in time!!! Thank-you for this gift...

Carola Bartz said...

I hated school with all my heart (with the exception of the last three years). My music was Supertramp, "Crime of the Century".

urban muser said...

love this idea. here are a few diverse "old school" selections from me: bruce springsteen (thunder road); 10,000 maniacs (these are days); guns and roses (sweet child o mine).

krissilugbill said...

LOVE this :) I already use your blog sometimes to listen to music :)